This is one in a series of book reviews. You may find these books beneficial if you: manage prediabetes or diabetes, follow a diabetes meal plan and/or try to eat healthy to live well. These book reviews also appear on amazon.com. The books I’ve reviewed here can be found in my amazon a-store . Please check them out and consider a purchase. This book is available as an e-book and see my review.
Are you aware of how you learn best? Many times our best learnings stem from a series of "experiments." Your Diabetes Science Experiment: Live Your Life with Diabetes, Instead of Letting Diabetes Live your Life by Ginger Vieira, is based on the premise that trial and error scenarios paired with data tracking can help you eliminate the guessing game of diabetes care.
Social networking is the rage. People are sharing personally and professionally. For people with diabetes there’s been a ground swell of social networking sites. They offer opportunities to keep up with the latest diabetes research, products and technology, connect with others in your shoes and share your challenges and triumphs. And you get to do this with people globally. As a diabetes educator who’s been around for many years I realize that having diabetes can be isolating and that support is critical to successful management – medically and emotionally.
Real Life Guide to Diabetes
- overwhelmed by your diagnosis of prediabetes or diabetes?
- baffled about what to eat…or not to eat?
- alarmed by all the prospect of taking insulin?
- scared about having or developing complications?
Real-Life Guide to Diabetes, published by American Diabetes Association and written with Hope’s nurse practitioner, certified diabetes educator co-author Joy Pape, puts everything you need to know about managing type 2, type 1 or prediabetes into a one-of-a-kind one-stop book. The 300 colorful easy-to-read pages of Real-Life Guide to Diabetes are filled with key research studies, common myths and facts, and straightforward answers to common questions. Pages are also loaded with practical tips and tactics to solve some of those common real life everyday issues of the 24/7/365 life with diabetes. One of the many ways Real-Life Guide to Diabetes is unique and different is that it helps you learn how to fit diabetes into your real life, your way. The book doesn’t suggest you need to change your life to manage diabetes.
Table of Contents
- Section 1: Build Your Strong Foundations
- Understanding Diabetes
- Know and Control Your ABCs
- Seek and Find Care and Support
- Section 2: Create Your Real Life Diabetes Plan
- Realistic Behavior Changes for Success
- Healthy Eating – The Basics
- Eat Healthy – Real Life Challenges and Solution
- Get Up, Get Active
- Medications that Lower Blood Glucose
- Other Medications to Manage Diabetes
- No Prescription Needed
- The Importance of Catching your Z’s
- Stress, Depression and Diabetes
- Monitoring Glucose and Blood Pressure Matters
- Section 3: When Life Happens
- When Life Veers Off Schedule
- Glucose Highs and Lows
- Lose Weight, Keep it Off
- Your Sexual Health
- Tobacco and Alcohol: How they Mix with Diabetes
- Health Care Plans and Money Matters
- Know Your Rights, Don’t Be Wronged
- Prevent and Delay Long-Term Diabetes Problems