Real Life Guide to Diabetes
- overwhelmed by your diagnosis of prediabetes or diabetes?
- baffled about what to eat…or not to eat?
- alarmed by all the prospect of taking insulin?
- scared about having or developing complications?
Real-Life Guide to Diabetes, published by American Diabetes Association and written with Hope’s nurse practitioner, certified diabetes educator co-author Joy Pape, puts everything you need to know about managing type 2, type 1 or prediabetes into a one-of-a-kind one-stop book. The 300 colorful easy-to-read pages of Real-Life Guide to Diabetes are filled with key research studies, common myths and facts, and straightforward answers to common questions. Pages are also loaded with practical tips and tactics to solve some of those common real life everyday issues of the 24/7/365 life with diabetes. One of the many ways Real-Life Guide to Diabetes is unique and different is that it helps you learn how to fit diabetes into your real life, your way. The book doesn’t suggest you need to change your life to manage diabetes.
Table of Contents
- Section 1: Build Your Strong Foundations
- Understanding Diabetes
- Know and Control Your ABCs
- Seek and Find Care and Support
- Section 2: Create Your Real Life Diabetes Plan
- Realistic Behavior Changes for Success
- Healthy Eating – The Basics
- Eat Healthy – Real Life Challenges and Solution
- Get Up, Get Active
- Medications that Lower Blood Glucose
- Other Medications to Manage Diabetes
- No Prescription Needed
- The Importance of Catching your Z’s
- Stress, Depression and Diabetes
- Monitoring Glucose and Blood Pressure Matters
- Section 3: When Life Happens
- When Life Veers Off Schedule
- Glucose Highs and Lows
- Lose Weight, Keep it Off
- Your Sexual Health
- Tobacco and Alcohol: How they Mix with Diabetes
- Health Care Plans and Money Matters
- Know Your Rights, Don’t Be Wronged
- Prevent and Delay Long-Term Diabetes Problems